What is the Unicode guidance regarding the use of a BOM as a UTF-8 encoding signature?

Harriet Riddle harjitmoe at outlook.com
Sat Jun 6 05:05:49 CDT 2020

In theory, one decoder can handle both, since 7-bit ISO 2022 generally starts out in ASCII, and SI, SO and the Gx-set designating ESC sequences make no sense in UTF-8. So, handling the left-hand side (those with the high bit unset) as (say) ISO-2022-JP-2 and the right-hand side (with the high bit set) as UTF-8 could work, with no ambiguity in practice. I do not recommend this for general use, since allowing this sort of mixed encoding at the receiving end can allow data to bypass upstream XSS sanitisers et cetera, but you presumably know how revelant this concern is to your work. It also probably doesn't make sense to write a decoder from scratch for this, unless you were doing that anyway.

If that isn't feasible, then, more moderate measures might include trying 7-bit ISO 2022 and if it runs into a set high bit, retrying with UTF-8. Or trying UTF-8 and, if the result contains SI, SO or (for instance) the sequence ESC $ B (U+001B U+0024 U+0042), retrying with (for instance) ISO-2022-JP-2.