Alternate presentation for U+229C CIRCLED EQUALS?

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Fri Jun 5 18:38:52 CDT 2020

On 6/5/20 4:20 PM, Markus Scherer wrote:
> Actually, I should have looked at the proposal doc first:
> http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2017/17242r2-n4934r-creative-commons.pdf
>
>     ... Their primary designs are exactly specified, while in current
>     text forms may be used resembling the font design. ... In these
>     examples, you see some variation in size, font, and placement,
>     which is common for © symbol as well. ...
>

> In other words, the glyphs for these symbols are not as fixed as you
> might think, and the use of ⊜ likely fits right in.

Not certain I buy that.  I'm a font designer, I'm going to be designing
the Creative Commons symbols, even if not in some "standard" way, at
least in the style I envision for them, but CIRCLED EQUALS, a
mathematics operator, will have different needs and I'll be designing it
to comport well with mathematics, and that is very likely to be
different from the CC symbols.

~mark