Alternate presentation for U+229C CIRCLED EQUALS?

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 5 17:00:23 CDT 2020

I don’t really like the proposal at all.  Is there prior context that I’m missing?

They don’t want a “circled cc” character.  They want a Creative Commons license symbol.

They don’t want the equivalent of ⓒ, they want ©.

In plain text, the Creative Commons symbol has an explicit meaning, it’s not a random emoji.

It is unclear to me why this is being proposed as “circled characters” rather than “CC license symbols”.

My preference would be to see these encoded as “licensing symbols”.

If I was designing a font that included the CC licensing symbols and the circled math symbols, I might choose to match the CC symbols published by them EXACTLY.  However, the math symbols may have a slightly different style.  As ⓒ and © likely do.

Not to mention, if I have a © in my text, then it’s clearly intended as an abbreviation for “copyright” and not bullet c that I thought looked prettier in a circle.  That intent is not lost if I change fonts or whatever.

-Shawn