Why do the Hebrew Alphabetic Presentation Forms Exist

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 4 11:27:49 CDT 2020

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 09:02:40 -0400
"Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode" <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> > Arguably, the right place for standardisation is probably OpenType
> > and AAT features - and it might even be addressed already.
> Yes, exactly.  An author (or typesetting program, higher level than a
> font) would have to choose the right variant for each LAMED... which
> is what 'salt' tables are for, isn't it?

I was thinking more along the lines of something like tnum, which gets
digits to have the same advance width so that numbers in rows of
digits can more easily align. You then don't have to refer to the font
documentation; if you want that behaviour, either the font doesn't
support it, or you just specify that feature tnum be applied.