Why do the Hebrew Alphabetic Presentation Forms Exist

Marius Spix marius.spix at web.de
Thu Jun 4 02:31:51 CDT 2020

Unicode also has German s (U+0073) and ſ (U+017F) which are
equivalent, but were used in typesetting for a long time. If you want
to precisely reproduce a historic text, it is required to have
separate ways to encode different glyps. In plaintext documents you
have no influence on OpenType presentation.

But you can use variant selectors, which can be registered
in the IVD database. This would be propably the best way. Technically,
using variant selectors has the same effect as different code points,
as <U+05DC> and <U+05DC U+FE0E> would encode different shapes of the
same character.

It also appears that there are more variants of lamed with special
meanings in the bible:
https://www.hebrew4christians.com/Grammar/Unit_One/Aleph-Bet/Lamed/lamed.html

Can someone confirm that all variants of lamed have the same numeric
value of 30? If it is different between the variants, that would
qualify for different characters.

We also have special glyph variants of the same character for special
purposes, like an open tail g for IPA (ɡ, U+0261⟩ or an alternative phi
for math (ϕ, U+03D5),  but these are completely optional and have no
different meaning from the closed tail g and the curled phi. As far as
I know linguists and mathematicians accept both glyph variants mutually
interchangeable. I guess, they are only in Unicode for historic reasons.

Regards,

Marius