What should or should not be encoded in Unicode? (from Re: Egyptian Hieroglyph Man with a Laptop)

via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Feb 15 04:11:48 CST 2020

Hi William,

I don't fully understand your proposed encoding scheme (e.g., Is there a
namespace each encoding scheme is bound to? How do namespaces get
encoded? How are syntax strictures encoded?), but even then, presuming
it's sound, you've said in the message before that this encoding space
will enhance interoperability. What mechanism is in place to make my
encoding space interoperable with yours? Perhaps, independent of each
other, you bind !123 to a character semantically identical to one I've
bound to !234. What rules are in place to allow interchangeability? What
about one-to-many or many-to-many or vague or ambiguous mappings across
encoding schemes, or mappings that we might reasonably contest?

Or maybe you're not so much concerned about interoperability as are you
are with extending the PUA block beyond its current limits? Something
like SGML/XML entities? Couldn't you simply capitalize on the rules that
already exist for entities?

Best wishes,

jk
--