Egyptian Hieroglyph Man with a Laptop

Adam Borowski via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Feb 14 07:31:30 CST 2020

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 09:15:18PM +0000, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 20:15:07 +0000
> Shawn Steele via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
>
> > I confess that even though I know nothing about Hieroglyphs, that I
> > find it fascinating that such a thoroughly dead script might still be
> > living in some way, even if it's only a little bit.
>
> Plenty of people have learnt how to write their name in hieroglyphs.
> However, it is rare enough that my initials suffice to label my milk at
> work.
>
> What's more striking is the implication that people are still
> exchanging messages in Middle Egyptian.

I don't think non-Egyptologist recipients are even aware what language that
is, or even that it's actual meaningful message rather than an hieroglyph-
looking doodle.  It's like maker's marks done by/for illiterate people
(such as most artisans in the past) -- as long as it's a distinct symbol,
it does its job.

For example, I end my work emails with "ᛗᛖᛟᚹ" and everyone so far assumed
it's either my initials or at most some greeting.

喵!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Latin:   meow 4 characters, 4 columns,  4 bytes
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Greek:   μεου 4 characters, 4 columns,  8 bytes