Dedotted I and dotlessi

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 18 04:24:28 CDT 2020

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 01:39:10 +0200
Khaled Hosny via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> >> On Aug 18, 2020, at 12:15 AM, Richard Wordingham via Unicode
> >> <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> >> I don't know if it's due to another feature (or even merely a
> >> bug), but I did notice that LibreOffice-exported PDFs swell
> >> enormously if one uses PDF/A to make Indic text extractable.  This
> >> was with a series of documents that were at least 90% English (in
> >> the Latin script).  Zipping was ineffective.

> The PDF/A issue is probably unrelated, since what I’m describing
> above happens with any PDF export profile.

Indeed, it turns out that Indic text extraction had improved
dramatically since I has last tried it out, and using PDF/A made no
difference to lurking bugs.  (In case it be relevant, I'm using
HarfBuzz 1.2.7 as the system HarfBuzz library, which is the latest I
can get on my Ubuntu 16.04.3 machine using the Debian build system on
the Ubuntu distribution system.  It's probably time to risk an upgrade.)