Code2003 is a rip-off

jk at koremail.com jk at koremail.com
Sat Aug 15 08:39:10 CDT 2020

On 2020-08-15 19:33, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 23:23:30 +0000
> James Kass via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
>
>> There's a font called Code2003 which is available for download on
>> various web sites.  Most of its glyphs were stolen from my fonts
>> Code2000 and Code2001.  Several ranges included in the font which
>> were not covered by my fonts were likely stolen from elsewhere.  For
>> example, for the range "Miscellaneous Symbols and Pictographs", its
>> "developer" simply stole the glyphs from the Unicode chart for that
>> range as found on the Unicode web site.  (Although some of those
>> glyphs were modified by mirroring or slight rotation.  Please see
>> attached graphic.)
>
> Have you read the legal defence at
> https://digiex.net/threads/hello-to-all-i-wish-to-introduce-myself.15144/
> ?
> I think the editor's arguments are wrong, but I think 'rip-off' is too
> strong a word.

There are many stronger words that one could use, James has be very
restrained here considering the thousands of hours invested. It is far
to common that people ignore the licenses of software. Many of us can
recount similar events. Such behaviour is very disheartening for
independent developers.

John Knightley