On the lack of a SQUARE TB glyph

Yifán Wáng via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Sep 27 02:29:43 CDT 2019

> * Does the existence of the legacy Adobe encoding Adobe-Japan1-6 shift the
> balance? It has a SQUARE TB at CID+8306.

The code point suggests that it was already there as early as
Adobe-Japan1-1 in 1993. The fact makes it seem certainly weird why it
hasn't been included like its fellows nearby. Perhaps it could be used
as a rationale that this character is erroneously missing.

> * Should I also propose SQUARE PB up to SQUARE YB? At the very least SQUARE PB
> in datacenter settings seems useful.

It does not however imply that squared *B things have some general
needs. The situation is very different than that of Reiwa. U+32FF
wasn't added for commemorative purpose, but is a critical requirement
of some legacy systems that hardcoded those squared eras as time
control characters, lest they fall into a Y2019 problem without a new
era symbol (that's why Unicode announced the code point far before the
real era name came out). From what I heard, even the Japanese
government hadn't recognized the problem in the first place but MS or
somebody listened to their clients and choosed to encode it. So far I
don't believe there's a real need because I don't know a case that KB,
MB... are used outside representational purpose, but I may be wrong.