Grapheme clusters & backspace (was: Unicode Digest, Vol 70, Issue 17)

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Oct 23 11:39:04 CDT 2019

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 02:31:09 +0000
Ben Morphett via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> It totally depends on the editor.  In Notepad++, when I backspace
> over "Man Teacher: Dark Skin Tone", I get "Man Teacher: Dark Skin
> Tone" => ""Man: Dark Skin Tone" => gone.

In MS Word 2016 on Windows 10, I get an intermediate stage of “Man:
Dark Skin ZWJ”, which is comparable to my suggestion that only the
consonant be deleted from a sequence of Indic stacker + consonant, even
though it be very similar to a unitary consonant sign.  The main
difference in the Indic pair is that there is a (misplaced) grapheme
cluster boundary in the former.

Mark Davis has proclaimed that all these emoji behaviours are WRONG.

What is wrong is that the ZWJ may go missing with copy and paste, as I
found between Word and plain Notepad.