Annoyances from Implementation of Canonical Equivalence (was: Pure Regular Expression Engines and Literal Clusters)

Eli Zaretskii via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Oct 16 01:33:38 CDT 2019

> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 20:52:15 +0100
> From: Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>

> > > Is there a good record of these complaints anywhere?
> >
> > You could look up these discussions:
> >
> >   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00189.html
> >   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00506.html
>
> These are complaints about primary-level searches, not canonical
> equivalence.

Not sure what you call primary-level searches, but if you deduced the
complaints were only about searches for base characters, then that's
not so.  They are long discussions with many sub-threads, so it might
be hard to find the specific details you are looking for.

However, the conclusion was very firm, and since we made the folding
optional 3 years ago, we had no complaints.