Annoyances from Implementation of Canonical Equivalence (was: Pure Regular Expression Engines and Literal Clusters)

Eli Zaretskii via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Oct 15 01:43:23 CDT 2019

> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 00:23:59 +0100
> From: Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
>
> > I'm well aware of the official position.  However, when we attempted
> > to implement it unconditionally in Emacs, some people objected, and
> > brought up good reasons.  You can, of course, elect to disregard this
> > experience, and instead learn it from your own.
>
> Is there a good record of these complaints anywhere?

You could look up these discussions:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00189.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00506.html

> (It would occasionally be useful to have an easily issued command
> like 'delete preceding NFD codepoint'.)

I agree.  Emacs commands that delete characters backward (usually
invoked by the Backspace key) do that automatically, if the text
before cursor was produced by composing several codepoints.

> I did mention above that occasionally one needs to know what
> codepoints were used and in what order.

Sure.  There's an Emacs command (C-u C-x =) which shows that
information for the text at a given position.