Is the Unicode Standard "The foundation for all modern software and communications around the world"?

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Nov 19 14:02:55 CST 2019

On 2019-11-19 6:59 PM, Costello, Roger L. via Unicode wrote:
> Today I received an email from the Unicode organization. The email said this: (italics and yellow highlighting are mine)
>
> The Unicode Standard is the foundation for all modern software and communications around the world, including all modern operating systems, browsers, laptops, and smart phones-plus the Internet and Web (URLs, HTML, XML, CSS, JSON, etc.).
>
> That is a remarkable statement! But is it entirely true? Isn't it assuming that everything is text? What about binary information such as JPEG, GIF, MPEG, WAV; those are pretty core items to the Web, right? The Unicode Standard is silent about them, right? Isn't the above quote a bit misleading?

A bit, perhaps.  But think of it as a press release.

The statement smacks of hyperbole at first blush, but "foundation" can
mean basis or starting point.  File names (and URLs) of *.WAV, *.MPG,
etc. are stored and exchanged via Unicode.  Likewise, the tags
(metadata) for audio/video files are stored (and displayed) via
Unicode.  So fields such as Title, Artist, Comments/Notes, Release Date,
Label, Composer, and so forth aren't limited to ASCII data.