New Public Review on QID emoji

Peter Constable via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Nov 9 17:18:13 CST 2019

> Yet if QID emoji are implemented by Unicode Inc. without also being
> implemented by ISO/IEC 10646 then that could lead to future problems,

Neither Unicode Inc. or ISO/IEC 10646 would _implement_ QID emoji. Unicode would provide a specification for QID emoji that software vendors could implement, while ISO/IEC 10646 would not define that specification. As Ken mentions, there are already many emoji in use inter-operably based on specifications provided by Unicode but not by ISO/IEC 10646.

Ken's other point is also worth stressing: there are inter-op issues inherent to the architecture of the QID mechanism.

If adopted as a Unicode spec, any software vendor could choose to implement anything they might want as a QID emoji sequence, and there would be no guarantee that any other software would interoperate with that beyond a very minimum: if other software supported the QID mechanism, it would recognize the sequence as a QID sequence, and might handle it as a unit for segmentation purposes (selection, line breaking), but only render the base emoji character in a legible way and nothing more.

Moreover, it's possible that two vendors might implement the same QID sequence with significantly different appearances, enough to connote different meanings. (Think of issues from recent years in which the major vendors had significantly different appearances for the same emoji character. Then extend that possibility to every QID sequence that any vendor implements.) Also, it's entirely possible that two different vendors might implement _different_ QID sequences with similar appearances and semantic intent. The PRI doc mentions the possibility of a registry for QID sequences; a key benefit of a registry is that it may mitigate against these non-interop risks. But the current proposal does not in fact provide any mitigations for these issues other than the possibility that a QID sequence might be at some point become an RGI sequence.

Peter