asking advice of the Unicode community on new character proposal

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri May 3 12:07:42 CDT 2019

On Fri, 3 May 2019 11:01:33 +0300
Jack Rueter via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> The additional Latin characters to be proposed include Latin capital
> and small letters C, D, L, S, T and  ɜ with descenders. They also
> include a number of Cyrillic letters, capital and small Ukrainian IE
> (in Komi a hard affricate CHA) and Soft Sign (in Komi a high central
> unrounded vowel), used together with Latin letters.  Could/should
> these (four) be encoded as Latin characters (which would clearly add
> to confusables) or how could the mix of scripts be best handled?

The latter pair may already be encoded as U+0184/U+0185 LATIN
CAPITAL/SMALL LETTER TONE 6, which was once intended to use the glyph of
the Cyrillic soft sign.

The Ukrainian IE used in Latin script is certainly eligible, by the
principle of separation of scripts. The only challenge I can see would
be a claim that it was already encoded as U+0190/U+025B LATIN
CAPITAL/SMALL LETTER OPEN E.