Latin capital letter Is (Ꝭ)

Fredrick Brennan via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Mar 1 01:36:42 CST 2019

Hello friends,

I sent this query to Michael Everson directly on Feb. 19 but did not hear anything back. I assume that he was too busy to respond, perhaps I even broke some unwritten rule of etiquette, for which I apologize; so I am hoping that someone on the mailing list knows the answer instead.

I am the author of an open source blackletter typeface based on, but not exactly the same as, the typeface used in the 1611 King James Bible and facsimile reproductions of the same named in homage "https://github.com/ctrlcctrlv/kjv1611". Although named such, I include as many glyphs as I can whether they existed in the 1611 KJV or not, as long as they were used in English blackletter typesetting generally.

I am trying to find examples of the glyph encoded as U+A76C (Ꝭ), the so-called Latin Capital Letter Is. I have found https://www.bl.uk/treasures/festivalbooks/pagemax.aspx?strFest=0073&strPage=1 and examples of its younger brother, the so-called Latin Small Letter Is encoded as U+A76D (ꝭ).

I checked https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2006/06027-n3027-medieval.pdf to encode these letters, and unfortunately found there no proof of the existence of the capital variant. Is it a dreaded http://archives.miloush.net/michkap/archive/2011/12/14/10247653.html? How should I handle this in my font?

Best,

Fredrick Brennan