ISO 15924 : missing indication of support for Syriac variants

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Jul 18 14:06:45 CDT 2019

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 21:01:30 -0700
Asmus Freytag via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> On 7/17/2019 6:03 PM, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:

>> A significant issue is that the hieratic script is right to left but
>> Unicode only standardises the encoding of left-to-right
>> transcriptions.  I don't recall the difference between retrograde v.
>> normal text being declared a style difference.

> Use directional overrides. Those have been in the standard forever.

How do they help distinguish normal right-to-left text and
right-to-left retrograde text?  As I understand it, the implementer has
to guess which way characters in an ancient script face when the
direction of the text is overridden.

Unicode used to define the orientation, but that got withdrawn a few
years ago.