Unicode "no-op" Character?

Sławomir Osipiuk via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jul 3 10:44:30 CDT 2019

I’m frustrated at how badly you seem to be missing the point. There is nothing impossible nor self-contradictory here. There is only the matter that Unicode requires all scalar values to be preserved during interchange. This is in many ways a good idea, and I don’t expect it to change, but something else would be possible if this requirement were explicitly dropped for a well-defined small subset of characters (even just one character). A modern-day SYN.

Let’s say it’s U+000F. The standard takes my proposal and makes it a discardable, null-displayable character. What does this mean?

U+000F may appear in any text. It has no (external) semantic value. But it may appear. It may appear a lot.

Display routines (which are already dealing with combining, ligaturing, non-/joiners, variations, initial/medial/finals forms) understand that U+000F is to be processed as a no-op. Do nothing with this. Drop it. Move to the next character. Simple.

Security gateways filter it out completely, as a matter of best practice and security-in-depth.

A process, let’s call it Process W, adds a bunch of U+000F to a string it received, or built, or a user entered via keyboard. Maybe it’s to packetize. Maybe to mark every word that is an anagram of the name of a famous 19th-century painter, or that represents a pizza topping. Maybe something else. This is a versatile character. Process W is done adding U+000F to the string. It stores in it a database UTF-8 encoded field. Encoding isn’t a problem. The database is happy.

Now Process X runs. Process X is meant to work with Process W and it’s well-aware of how U+000F is used. It reads the string from the database. It sees U+000F and interprets it. It chops the string into packets, or does a websearch for each famous painter, or it orders pizza. The private meaning of U+000F is known to both Process X and Process W. There is useful information encoded in-band, within a limited private context.

But now we have Process Y. Process Y doesn’t care about packets or painters or pizza. Process Y runs outside of the private context that X and W had. Process Y translates strings into Morse code for transmission. As part of that, it replaces common words with abbreviations. Process Y doesn’t interpret U+000F. Why would it? It has no semantic value to Process Y.

Process Y reads the string from the database. Internally, it clears all instances of U+000F from the string. They’re just taking up space. They’re meaningless to Y. It compiles the Morse code sequence into an audio file.

But now we have Process Z. Process Z wants to take a string and mark every instance of five contiguous Latin consonants. It scrapes the database looking for text strings. It finds the string Process W created and marked. Z has no obligation to W. It’s not part of that private context. Process Z clears all instances of U+000F it finds, then inserts its own wherever it finds five-consonant clusters. It stores its results in a UTF-16LE text file. It’s allowed to do that.

Nothing impossible happened here. Let’s summarize:

Processes W and X established a private meaning for U+000F by agreement and interacted based on that meaning.

Process Y ignored U+000F completely because it assigned no meaning to it.

Process Z assigned a completely new meaning to U+000F. That’s permitted because U+000F is special and is guaranteed to have no semantics without private agreement and doesn’t need to be preserved.

There is no need to escape anything. Escaping is used when a character must have more than one meaning (i.e. it is overloaded, as when it is both text and markup). U+000F only gets one meaning in any context. In a new context, the meaning gets overridden, not overloaded. That’s what makes it special.

I don’t expect to see any of this in official Unicode. But I take exception to the idea that I’m suggesting something impossible.