Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

Egmont Koblinger via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Jan 31 03:11:22 CST 2019

Hi Eli,

> It doesn't do _any_ shaping.  Complex script shaping is left to the
> terminal, because it's impossible to do shaping in any reasonable way
> [...]

Partially, you are right. On the other hand, as far as I know, shaping
should take into account the neighboring glyphs even if those are not
visible (e.g. overflow from the viewport), and the terminal is unaware
of what those glyps are. This is an area that "presentation form"
characters can address for Arabic – although as it was pointed out,
not for Syrian and some others.

I'd say it's subject to further research and improvement to find the
ideal behavior.

cheers,
egmont