Encoding italic

Kent Karlsson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 30 18:38:56 CST 2019

I did say "multiple" and "for instance". But since you ask:

ITU T.416/ISO/IEC 8613-6 defines general RGB & CMY(K) colour control
sequences, which are deferred in ECMA-48/ISO 6429. (The RGB one
is implemented in Cygwin (sorry for mentioning a product name).)
(The "named" ones, though very popular in terminal emulators, are
all much too stark, I think, and the exact colour for them are
implementation defined.)

ECMA-48/ISO 6429 defines control sequences for CJK emphasising, which
traditionally does not use bold or italic. Compare those specified for CSS
(https://www.w3.org/TR/css-text-decor-3/#propdef-text-decoration-style and
https://www.w3.org/TR/css-text-decor-3/#propdef-text-emphasis-style).
These are not at all mentioned in ITU T.416/ISO/IEC 8613-6, but should
be of interest for the generalised subject of this thread.

There are some other differences as well, but those are the major ones
with regard to text styling. (I don't know those standards to a tee.
I've just looked at the "m" control sequences for text styling. And yes,
I looked at the free copies...)

/Kent Karlsson

PS
If people insist on that EACH character in "plain text" italic/bold/etc
"controls" be default ignorable: one could just take the control sequences
as specified, but map the printable characters part to the corresponding
tag characters... Not that I think that that is really necessary.