Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

Eli Zaretskii via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 30 10:10:36 CST 2019

> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 15:25:32 +0100
> Cc: unicode at unicode.org
> From: Egmont Koblinger via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
>
> > ╒═══════════╤══════╕
> > │ filename1 │  123 │
> > │ FILENAME2 │   17 │
> > └───────────┴──────┘
> >
> > I'm afraid there's no good way to do BiDi without support from individual
> > programs.
>
> In this particular example, when the output consists of RTL text in
> logical order (the emitter does not reorder the characters to their
> visual order, nor emit any BiDi controls), combined with line drawing
> and such, there is hardly anything we could do purely on the terminal
> emulator's side.

I think the application could use TAB characters to get to the next
cell, then simplistic reordering would also work.

But in general, yes: this is one of the examples why sophisticated
text-editing applications cannot leave this to the terminal.  (Another
example is handling mouse clicks, if the terminal supports that.)