Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

Adam Borowski via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 30 08:32:47 CST 2019

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 03:25:32PM +0100, Egmont Koblinger via Unicode wrote:
> One more note, to hopefully clarify:
> > ╒═══════════╤══════╕
> > │ filename1 │  123 │
> > │ FILENAME2 │   17 │
> > └───────────┴──────┘
> >
> > I'm afraid there's no good way to do BiDi without support from individual
> > programs.
>
> In this particular example, when the output consists of RTL text in
> logical order (the emitter does not reorder the characters to their
> visual order, nor emit any BiDi controls), combined with line drawing
> and such, there is hardly anything we could do purely on the terminal
> emulator's side.
>
> I did not consider the possibility of certain characters (e.g. line
> drawing ones) being "stop characters", and BiDi to get applied only in
> runs of other characters. Any such magic would be arbitrary, fix a
> subset of the cases while cause other unforeseen breakages elsewhere.
> E.g. what if someone intentionally uses these characters as
> letter-like ones in a BiDi text, like """here I'm talking about the
> '└' shaped corner"""... or what if poor man's ASCII pipe and other
> symbols are used... it's way too risky to go into any kind of
> heuristics.
>
> In this particular case the terminal cannot magically fix the output
> for you, you'll need to get the application fixed.

That's possible only if the program in question is running directly attached
to the tty.  That's not an option if the output is redirected.  Frames in
a plain text file are a perfectly rational, and pretty widespread, use --
and your proposal will break them all.  Be it "cat" to the screen, "less" or
even "mutt" if the text was sent via a mail.

I don't really see a possibility to do that on the terminal's side, any RTL
reordering would need to be done by the program in question.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Remember, the S in "IoT" stands for Security, while P stands