Ancient Greek apostrophe marking elision

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 28 19:55:39 CST 2019

On 1/28/19 2:31 AM, Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode wrote:

> But the question is how important those are in daily life. I'm not
> sure why the double-click selection behavior is so much more of a
> problem for Ancient Greek users than it is for the somewhat larger
> community of English users. Word selection is not normally as
> important an operation as line break, which does work as expected.

This is a good point.  Bottom line is that word-selection, at least, is
not going to be _exactly_ right.  Oh, and for another example, note that
Esperanto also regularly (in poetry, anyway) uses a word-final
apostrophe (of some kind) to indicate elision of the final -o of a
nominative singular noun, or the -a of the article "la".  What shall we
say to Esperantists who can't correctly the third word in «al la mond’
eterne militanta / Ĝi promesas sanktan harmonion»?  I guess "Suck it up
and deal with it."  And that may indeed be the answer.

~mark