Ancient Greek apostrophe marking elision

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 28 19:46:20 CST 2019

On 1/27/19 4:30 PM, Philippe Verdy via Unicode wrote:
> For Volapük, it looks much more like U+02BE (right half ring modifier
> letter)
> than like U+02BC (apostrophe "modifier" letter).
> according to the PDF on
> https://archive.org/details/cu31924027111453/page/n12

No, I don't think it's 02BE (especially since it goes in the other
direction.  You mean 02BF.  But I don't think it's that either).  Note
the thickness at the top.  That isn't a half-ring.  It's pretty clearly
an 02BD on that page, whereas on the page before, it's just as clearly
an 02BB.  Or I guess another lesson to be learned is they weren't
terribly picky.  Which I guess is good, because I don't want to have to
fret about "gee, we need a boldface 02BB for capitalized Volapük..."
There's a reason they dropped that letter.

~mark