Ancient Greek apostrophe marking elision

James Tauber via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 28 01:49:29 CST 2019

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 2:31 AM Mark Davis ☕️ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:

> But the question is how important those are in daily life. I'm not sure
> why the double-click selection behavior is so much more of a problem for
> Ancient Greek users than it is for the somewhat larger community of English
> users. Word selection is not normally as important an operation as line
> break, which does work as expected.

Even if they don't _really_ care about word selection, there are digital
classicists who care even less about U+2019 being the preferred character
which makes it harder for me to make my case :-)

What triggered the question in my original post about tailoring the Word
Boundary Rules was the statement in TR29 "A further complication is the use
of the same character as an apostrophe and as a quotation mark. Therefore
leading or trailing apostrophes are best excluded from the default
definition of a word." Because Ancient Greek does not have that ambiguity,
there's no need for the exclusion in that case. Immediately following that
quote is a suggestion about tailoring for French and Italian which made we
wonder if the "right" thing to do is to tailor the WBRs for Ancient Greek.

I know you've said here (and in your original response to me) that you
don't think it's worth it, but is WBR tailoring (the only|the best|a)
technically correct way to achieve with U+2019 (in Ancient Greek) what
people are abusing U+02BC for?

James