Ancient Greek apostrophe marking elision

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Jan 27 11:32:42 CST 2019

Well, sure; some languages work better with some fonts.  There's nothing
wrong with saying that 02BC might look the same as 2019... but it's
nice, when writing Hawaiian (or Klingon for that matter) to use a bigger
glyph. That's why they pay typesetters the big bucks (you wish): to make
things look good on the page.

I recall in early Volapük, ʼ was a letter (presumably 02BC), with value
/h/.  And the "capital" ʼ was the same, except bolder: see
https://archive.org/details/cu31924027111453/page/n11 (entry 4, on the
left-hand page).

~mark