Ancient Greek apostrophe marking elision

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Jan 25 15:26:33 CST 2019

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 12:39:47 -0500
James Tauber via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> Thank you, although the word break does still affect things like
> double-clicking to select.
>
> And people do seem to want to use U+02BC for this reason (and I'm
> trying to articulate why that isn't what U+02BC is meant for).

It's a bit tricky when the reason is that it was too hard to get users
of English to make a distinction between U+02BC and U+2019.  And for
Larry Niven's elephant-like aliens in _Footfall__, is _fi'_, the
singular of _fithp_, better written with U+02BC or U+2019?  And does
the phonetically faithful spelling of Estuarine English _fi'_ for
_fit_ depend on whether the glottal stop is dropped?

The science-fiction ethnonym _Vl'harg_ is also tricky.  Does its elegant
encoding depend on whether the apostrophe is a vowel symbol (so
U+02BC) or the indication of an omitted vowel (so U+2019)?