Encoding italic

David Starner via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Jan 25 05:59:09 CST 2019

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 11:16 PM Tex via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
> Twitter was offered as an example, not the only example just one of the most ubiquitous. Many messaging apps and other apps would benefit from italics. The argument is not based on adding italics to twitter.

And again, color me skeptical. If italics are just added to Unicode
and not to the relevant app or interface, they will not see much use,
in the same way that most non-ASCII characters for proper English--the
quotes, the dashes, the accents--are often ignored because they're too
hard to enter. But if you're going to add italics, having it in
Unicode doesn't make it significantly easier, particularly when they
need to support systems that predate Unicode adding italics.

> The biggest burden would be to the apps that would benefit, to add italicizing and editing capabilities.

If they would benefit or if they'd accept the burden, they'd have
already added italics, via HTML or Markdown or escape sequences or
whatever.

--
Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.