Encoding italic

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Jan 24 16:42:59 CST 2019

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 18:24:07 +0200
Khaled Hosny via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 03:54:29PM +0000, Andrew West via Unicode
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 15:42, James Kass <jameskasskrv at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Going off topic a little, I saw this tweet from Marijn van Putten
>>> today which shows examples of Arabic script from early Quranic
>>> manuscripts with phonetic information indicated by the use of red
>>> and green dots:
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/PhDniX/status/1088171783461703682

>> I would be interested to know how those should be represented in
>> Unicode.

> It is possible to represent this by use of color fonts.

The limitations of rendering technology should not be an argument
against an encoding.  We have characters that differ only in their
properties, such as word-breaking and line-breaking.

In this case, it may be argued that their colours apply only to their
'plain' colouring.  Who determines what their colour should be in blue
text?  (Font technology seems to dictate that their colour is
unaffected by the choice of foreground colour.)