Encoding italic (was: A last missing link)

Andrew West via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Jan 24 09:54:29 CST 2019

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 15:42, James Kass <jameskasskrv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's a very polite reply from John Hudson from 2000,
> http://unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/Archives-Old/UML024/1042.html
> ...and, over time, many of the replies to William Overington's colorful
> suggestions were less than polite.  But it was clear that colors were
> out-of-scope for a computer plain-text encoding standard.

Going off topic a little, I saw this tweet from Marijn van Putten
today which shows examples of Arabic script from early Quranic
manuscripts with phonetic information indicated by the use of red and
green dots:

https://twitter.com/PhDniX/status/1088171783461703682

I would be interested to know how those should be represented in Unicode.

Andrew