Encoding italic (was: A last missing link)

wjgo_10009@btinternet.com via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Jan 24 09:06:49 CST 2019

Andrew West wrote as follows:

> … (note that the colored characters do not change the color of the
> emoji they are attached to [before or after, depending upon whether
> you are speaking French or English dialect of emoji], they are just
> intended as a visual indication of what colour you wish the emoji
> was).

I thought that the idea was that they could possibly be used for glyph
substitution with an appropriate font, so that there could be, for
example, a glyph of a polar bear.

I produced a proposal for some characters specifically intended each as
a colour modifier character.

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2018/18198-colour-mod-chars.pdf

I know that the document was once on the agenda for a UTC meeting but
was not mentioned in the minutes, so I do not know whether consideration
of the best plain text way to express a request for a particular colour
for an emoji is still taking place and my document is just one of
several possibilities being considered.

William Overington
Thursday 24 January 2019