Encoding italic

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Jan 22 21:43:29 CST 2019

Nobody has really addressed Andrew West's suggestion about using the tag
characters.

It seems conformant, unobtrusive, requiring no official sanction, and
could be supported by third-partiers in the absence of corporate
interest if deemed desirable.

One argument against it might be:  Whoa, that's just HTML.  Why not just
use HTML?  SMH

One argument for it might be:  Whoa, that's just HTML!  Most everybody
already knows about HTML, so a simple subset of HTML would be recognizable.

After revisiting the concept, it does seem elegant and workable. It
would provide support for elements of writing in plain-text for anyone
desiring it, enabling essential (or frivolous) preservation of
editorial/authorial intentions in plain-text.

Am I missing something?  (Please be kind if replying.)