wws dot org

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Jan 18 06:56:05 CST 2019

On 1/17/19 1:50 PM, Frédéric Grosshans via Unicode wrote:

> On a side note, you the site considers visible speech as a
> living-script, which surprised be. This information is indeed in the
> Wikipedia infobox and implied by its “HMA status” on the Berkeley SEI
> page, but the text of the wikipedia page says “However, although
> heavily promoted [...] in 1880, after a period of a dozen years or so
> in which it was applied to the education of the deaf, Visible Speech
> was found to be more cumbersome [...] compared to other methods,and
> eventually faded from use.”
>
> My (cursory) research failed to show a more recent date than this for
> the system than this “dosen of year or so [past 1880]” . Is there any
> indication of the system to be used later? (say, any date in the 20th
> century)

I just got email a few days ago from someone who wants to use it on an
album cover...

But on the whole I think you are correct; I have not seen much use or
even study of it (outside of my own and a very few others) in recent
times.  And I *still* have to submit a proposal for it to be included in
Unicode.

~mark