wws dot org

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 16 08:33:39 CST 2019

On 15/01/2019 19:22, Johannes Bergerhausen via Unicode wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am happy to report that www.worldswritingsystems.org <http://www.worldswritingsystems.org> is now online.
>
> The web site is a joint venture by
>
> — Institut Designlabor Gutenberg (IDG), Mainz, Germany,
> — Atelier National de Recherche Typographique (ANRT), Nancy, France and
> — Script Encoding Initiative (SEI), Berkeley, USA.
>
> For every known script, we researched and designed a reference glyph.
>
> You can sort these 292 scripts by Time, Region, Name, Unicode version and Status.
> Exactly half of them (146) are already encoded in Unicode.
So to date, Unicode has only made half its way, and for every single script in the
Standard there is another script out there that remains still unsupported.

First things first. When I first replied in the first thread of this year I already
warned:
 >>> Having said that, still unsupported minority languages are top priority.

I didn’t guess that I opened a Pandora box whose content would lead us
far away from the only useful goal deeply embedded in the concept of
Unicode: support all of the world’s writing systems.

Instead, we’re discussing how to enable social media users to tune
ephemeral messages even more to attract even more the scarce attention
of overwhelmed co-users before going buried in the mass of a vanishing timeline.

I sought feedback about using Unicode to get back the underlining feature known
from the typewriter era. But like some other hints I provided, it went unpicked…

Sadly it’s uninteresting, no cherries. Also if Unicode had to wait until enough
characters are picked for adoption prior to encoding the missing scripts, I’m
afraid the job won’t ever be done…

The industry is welcome to help speeding up the process.

Thanks to Johannes Bergerhausen for setting up and sharing this resource.

Best regards,

Marcel