Encoding italic (was: A last missing link)

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 16 03:30:40 CST 2019

I wrote,

 > The VS possibility would double the character count of any strings
 > including them.

A kind list member has pointed out privately that the above is
mistaken.  Twitter character counts aren't actually character counts.
Each math-alpha counts as two characters as do the VS characters.  So a
string with VS characters interspersed would actually be triple rather
than double.

(I've also been advised that a lot of the math-alpha on Twitter involves
fraktur, script, and double struck characters.  As was pointed out to
me, that practice would probably continue even if Twitter enabled italic
and bold styling as a feature.  Again, I do not personally know how
widespread the practice is.)