Encoding italic

David Starner via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Jan 15 23:05:24 CST 2019

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 5:17 PM James Kass via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
wrote:

> Enabling plain-text doesn't make rich-text poor.

Adding italics to Unicode will complicate the implementation of all rich
text applications that currently support italics.

> People who regard plain-text with derision, disdain, or contempt have
> every right to hold and share opinions about what plain-text is *for*
> and in which direction it should be heading.  Such opinions should
> receive all the consideration they deserve.

Really? There's no one here regards plain text with derision, disdain or
contempt. I might complain about the people who claim to like plain text
yet would only be happy with massive changes to it, though.

However, plain text can be used standalone, and it can be used inside
programs and other formats. Dismissing the people who use Unicode in ways
that aren't plain text is unfair and hurts your case.