A last missing link for interoperable representation

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 14 19:56:37 CST 2019

In some of this discussion, I'm not sure what is being proposed or
forbidden here... I don't know that anyone is advocating removing the
"don't use these for words!" warning sticker on the mathematical
italics.  The closest-to-sensible suggestions I've heard are things like
a VS to italicize a letter, a combining italicizer so to speak (this is
actually very similar to the emoji-style vs text-style VS sequences).
*If* the VS is ignored by searches, as apparently it should be and some
have reported that it is, then VS-type solutions would NOT be a problem
when it comes to searches (and don't go whining about legacy software.
If Unicode had to be backward-compatible with everything we wouldn't
have gone beyond ASCII).  So I'm not sure what you mean when you speak
of "Unicode italics".  Do you mean using the mathematical italics as
we've been seeing?  Or having a whole new plane of italic characters for
everything that could conceivably be italicized?  Those would probably
both be mistakes, I agree.

~mark