A last missing link for interoperable representation

via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Jan 11 16:10:25 CST 2019

On 11.01.2019 11:43, Tex via Unicode wrote:
> Martin,
>
> James is making the case there is demand or a user need and that the
> proof is that users are using inconsistent tactics to simulate a
> solution to their problem.
<snip>

The use of math characters is mostly to get around limitations of
Twitter (and some other platforms). There are plenty of rich text
formats like Markdown and Html existing already.

I am rather doubtful that it should be Unicode's responsibility to get
around lack of rich text support via special characters and fonts,
especially since many platforms do not allow users to freely change the
fonts (and if these platforms installed such fonts, they could just as
easily support markup/rich text instead). Even if they do, the
programs/platforms involved would not necessarily enable these fonts by
default: if the wanted rich text, they would be supporting it already.

Also, any Unicode-based rich text standard would not really be standard
compared to the vast amount of HTML out there already.

David Faulks