A last missing link for interoperable representation

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 9 03:06:26 CST 2019

Asmus Freytag wrote,

 > Still, not supported in plain text (unless you abuse the
 > math alphabets for things they were not intended for).

The unintended usage of math alphanumerics in the real world is fairly
widespread, at least in screen names.

(I still get a kick out of this:)
http://www.ewellic.org/mathtext.html

I wonder how many times Doug's program has been downloaded.

Whether it's "abuse" or not might depend on whether one considers the
user community of the machines which process the texts to be more
important than the user community of human beings who author, exchange,
and read the texts.

Real humans are the user community of the UCS.  It's up to the user
community to determine how its letters and symbols get used.  That's the
general rule-of-thumb Unicode applies to the subset user communities,
and it should apply to the complete superset as well.