A last missing link for interoperable representation

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 9 01:56:23 CST 2019

David Starner wrote,

 > Can some books be mostly handled with Unicode plain text
 > and italics? Sure. HTML can handle them quite nicely. ...

Yes, many books can be handled very well with HTML using simple
mark-up.  If I were producing a computer file to reproduce an old
fiction novel, that's how I'd do it.  Not because it's better or simpler
than plain text, but because it can't really be done in plain text at
this time.  But if a section of the text is copy/pasted from the screen
into an editor, some of the original information may be lost.

As you point out, there's a lot of published material best viewed
digitally as full color page scans.  As it should be.  That seems
unlikely to change.