Bidi paragraph direction in terminal emulators (was: Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators)

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Feb 17 06:59:16 CST 2019

Le ven. 8 févr. 2019 à 13:56, Egmont Koblinger <egmont at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Philippe, I hate do say it, but at the risk of being impolite, I just
> have to.

Resist this idea, I've not been impolite. I just want to show you that
terminals are legacy environments that are far behind what is needed for
proper internationalization. And when I exposed the problem of monospaced
fonts, and exposed the case of "dualspace" fonts, this is already used in
legacy terminals to solve practical problems (and there are even data in
the UCD about them): dualspace is an excellent solution that should be
extended even outside CJK contexts (for example with emojis, and various
other South Asian scripts).