Bidi paragraph direction in terminal emulators

Egmont Koblinger via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Feb 9 17:59:46 CST 2019

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 12:52 AM Richard Wordingham via Unicode
<unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> This is an example of where one needs a font designed for terminal
> emulators.

Definitely, this is another approach I forgot to mention in my mail,
rather than VTE switching to harfbuzz and figuring out all the issues.
This approach would also make them usable in every decent terminal
emulator at once, not just VTE.

Is there such a monospace font obeying wcwidth (that is: double wide
character for when a spacing mark is combined) for Devanagari? Is
there a monospace font for Arabic, for Syriac, etc.? (How much do
these questions make sense at all?)

If there are such fonts, I'd be happy to use them for testing.

e.