Bidi paragraph direction in terminal emulators (was: Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators)

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Feb 8 00:40:44 CST 2019

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 00:38:24 +0100
Egmont Koblinger via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> I, for one, am not to the slightest bit interested in abandoning the
> character grid and allowing for proportional fonts. This would just
> break a gazillion of things.

The message I take from that and this thread in general is that Emacs
and 'M-x term' are the route to take if one only has proportional fonts.
What's the sledgehammer for Windows?

Where do I find the specification for fixed-width fonts (is
wcswidth() the core?) and how do I select the set of fonts to use?  Do I
need to use fontconfig where available?