Bidi paragraph direction in terminal emulators BiDi in terminal emulators

Egmont Koblinger via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Feb 7 11:20:02 CST 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 3:27 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:

> It uses a regular expression, see term-prompt-regexp.

So, it's not automatic, needs user interaction, and for that reason,
may not have worked for me. (I have other weird things in my prompt,
like 256-color sequences that Emacs didn't recognize, perhaps this
made the regexp matching fail. Nevermind.)

> > Whatever it does to know where the prompt is, can it be made into a
> > standard, cross-terminal feature?
>
> Not sure.  It's a kind of heuristic, which is why the regexp is
> customizable on user level, so that users could adapt it to their
> needs, should that be necessary.

iTerm2 has a "shell integration" where the prompt contains explicit
markers so that no heuristics or user configuration is needed from the
terminal. We're trying to somewhat standardize it at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/terminal-wg/specifications/issues/4 and
get more terminals support it. Not sure where this attempt will take
us, we'll see.

> In what version of Emacs is that?  In the latest version 26 I have
> here, the tutorial displays with most paragraphs in RTL direction.

25.2 here, it might have obviously changed for a newer version, glad to hear it.

My distro will upgrade in about 2 months. Since I'm not an Emacs user
myself, I hope you don't mind if I don't make extra rounds in
upgrading now to verify this.

cheers,
egmont