Bidi paragraph direction in terminal emulators BiDi in terminal emulators

Eli Zaretskii via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Feb 7 08:18:10 CST 2019

> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 23:32:43 +0000
> From: Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
>
> > You define paragraphs as emptyline-separated blocks on which you
> > perform autodetection of the paragraph direction. This is great! As
> > I've mentioned, I'd love to have such a mode in terminals, but it's
> > subject to underlying improvements, like knowing when a prompt starts
> > and ends, because prompts also have to be paragraph delimiters.
>
> Not necessarily.  One could allow the first strong character in the
> prompt to determine the paragraph directions.  That's what the Emacs
> terminal (invoked by M-x term; top level definition in term.el) does.

Emacs's built-in terminal emulator does that only because no one
bothered to do something about this behavior.  I personally don't
consider this the correct behavior (but then I don't use M-x term in
Emacs except for testing).  Emacs does know where the prompt is, so it
could implement the rule that whatever follows the prompt starts a new
paragraph.