Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Feb 4 15:00:55 CST 2019

On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 18:03:37 +0200
Eli Zaretskii via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 03:02:13 +0100
> > Cc: unicode at unicode.org
> > From: Egmont Koblinger via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
> >
> > > All I am saying is that your proposal should define what it means
> > > by visual order.
> >
> > Are you nitpicking on me not giving a precise definition on the
> > otherwise IMO freaking obvious "visual order"
>
> Most probably.  The definition is trivial: the order of characters on
> display, from left to right.  The only possible reason to split hairs
> here could be when some characters don't appear on display, like
> control characters.  Other than that, there should be no doubt what
> visual order means.

To me, 'visual order' means in the dominant order of the script.  So,
if one takes it as natural that a decimal number starts with the most
significant digits, the decimal numbers used with Arabic are *not*
stored in visual order if considered as part of that script.

Furthermore, let me quote from the Bidi Algorithm:

"In combination with the following rule, this means that trailing
whitespace will appear at the visual end of the line (in the paragraph
direction)."

The 'visual end' is clearly not always the right-hand end!