Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

Egmont Koblinger via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Feb 1 07:44:21 CST 2019

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 4:26 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:

> > Yes, I do argue that emacs will need to print a new escape sequence.
> > Which is much-much-much-much-much better than having to tell users to
> > go into the settings of their macOS Terminal / Konsole /
> > gnome-terminal etc. and disable BiDi there, isn't it?
>
> I'm not sure I agree.  Most users can disable bidi reordering of the
> terminal once and for all.  They don't need it.

What users are we talking about? Those who don't need BiDi ever at all?

Everything is already perfect for them! They should't care about the
"enable BiDi" settings of their terminal, either value will result in
the same, correct behavior for them.

Or do we talk about users who care about BiDi inside Emacs, but don't
care about BiDi when echo'ing, cat'ing...? Do such users exist? Well,
even if they do, they're not the only target of my work.

Remember: My proposal aims to address both the Emacs as well as the
echo/cat/... use cases. These are substantially different use cases
that require the terminal emulator to be in a different mode, and thus
automatic switching between the two modes has to be solved.

cheers,
egmont