Proposal for BiDi in terminal emulators

Khaled Hosny via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Feb 1 05:02:45 CST 2019

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:17:19PM +0000, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 12:46:48 +0100
> Egmont Koblinger <egmont at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> No.  How many cells do CJK ideographs occupy?  We've had a strong hint
> that a medial BEH should occupy one cell, while an isolated BEH should
> occupy two.

Monospaced Arabic fonts (there are not that many of them) are designed
so that all forms occupy just one cell (most even including the mandatory
lam-alef ligatures), unlike CJK fonts.

I can imagine the terminal restricting itself to monspaced fonts,
disable “liga” feature just in case, and expect the font to well behave.
Any other magic is likely to fail.

Regards,
Khaled