emojis for mouse buttons?

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Dec 31 09:49:53 CST 2019

I say "emoji" because they would belong to the subsets of emojis, within
characters, and existing mouse characters (but not button-specific) are
already encoded as emojis (i.e. two styles: basic glyphs or color icons).

What is important is less the mouse than the identification of the button
(left/center/right) for documenting keymaps in UI (the documentation
usually indicate the default right-hand assignment, a user may still
configure the mouse driver to swap the left/right buttons).

For now the alternative is to compose a localisable string like "L" or "R"
or "C", followed by the generic mouse (when documenting keymaps, the
surrounding square and shading may be done outside using styling, we
just need the unique symbol in a more immediately readable way than just
"click".

A generic clic (1st button) is sometimes represented as an arrow cursor or
hand with a pointing finger, and some radial strokes near the tip of the
arrow, but it is not very distinctive when we need to explicitly disinguish
the buttons, so I suggest a basic empty shape (rounded rectangle or ovoid
like a narrow theta "Θ"), with the top part split in three cells by
horizontal and vertical strokes, and one of the three cells filled
(representing the wire or the wireless waves is not necessary).